Friday, February 18, 2011

Fool Me Once, Shame on Me. Fool Me Twice? Fuggedaboudit!


Tsk, Tsk. Last year, I honestly kept my computer running all the time. In hindsight, I am ashamed to admit I was suckered into believing such an egregious lie and wasting so much energy. Now knowing the hourly draw of the system, we can tabulate the total cost of my ignorance. Assuming even a conservative run time of 20 hours a day:

0.11 kWh/hr x 20 hrs = 2.2 kWh/day
2.2 kWh/day x 365 days/yr = 803 kWh/yr
803 kWh/yr x $0.085/kWh = $68.25/yr


I paid $68.00 a year (again, conservatively) to keep my computer running all the time, even though we really only used it for a small fraction of that time. And, of course, let's not forget all those extraneous costs of energy use that never quite make it into my monthly bill.

Turns out, like so much else in this house, my computer is robbing me blind!

No comments:

Post a Comment